Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mardi Gras

The Famous King Cake! I chose to make this for Fat Tuesday to celebrate the end of the Mardi Gras season. I have never actually had one before only heard about this traditional dessert served at parties that are usually held once a week during the Mardi Gras Carnival season in New Orleans. A little plastic baby is baked inside and whoever gets the piece with the baby has to provide the King Cake for the next party.



It's more of a bread than a cake. King Cakes are a cinnamon sprinkled dough in the shape of a circle. It's then topped with a lemon flavored icing and sprinkled with purple, green and yellow colored sugars. The Mardi Gras colors each represent something different. Purple represents justice, green is faith and gold represents power. I filled mine with a cream cheese filling and yum I am glad I did! It's delicious! I enjoyed a slice with a cup of coffee and loved every bite!



         

1 comment:

  1. Gives a whole new meaning to the term Fat Tuesday...now we have to give it all up for Lent!

    ReplyDelete